Tips & Tricks
Most enterprises should have detailed procedures and theft recovery solutions to mitigate losses from a misplaced or stolen laptop.
As smart phones become a ubiquitous part of corporate life, the need to apply those same rigorous standards has increased. Here are a few suggestions to lessen your risk:
- Start simple – lock it down with a password and customize that locked home screen with contact details and reward information.
- Backup, synchronize on a regular basis!
- If you must store sensitive info – such as other passwords – on your mobile device, don’t do it in a file named “password” or “psswrds.” Name the file something innocuous like “Meeting schedule, Kansas City, Mar 2007.”
- Minimize the number of apps that store passwords for purchase approvals.
- Are you so dependent on your mobile phone that you can’t recall important phone numbers? Keep a hardcopy list handy and don’t forget the corporate IT department for a few reasons:
- Some handhelds devices can be wiped clean remotely, which can be very useful if it is lost or stolen. Make sure this feature is installed and active.
- Many devices can be located remotely – make sure the device has this capability.
© 2011 by TechServe Alliance. All rights reserved. www.techservealliance.org
This article is reproduced with permission from TechServe Alliance.